Back to History page
In 1792 the Basingstoke Canal which passes through what is now the town was opened, but apart from a few inns to serve the passing trade had little effect on the locality. Apart from the Farnham to Reading road, the town remained largely undeveloped until the construction of the London and South Western Railway, which opened in 1840. In the same year, though for unrelated reasons a church - Christ Church that was to become the heart of the new ecclesiastical parish of Ewshot and Crookham was built midway between the villages of Crookham and Ewshot. This parish included the area that was to become the town of Fleet. The railway company promoted Fleet Pond for a destination for day excursions and many people came down from London to skate on the Pond during the winter. This attracted a number of gentry, particularly retired army officers who moved to the area and laid the foundations of what was to become known locally as "The Blue Triangle".
By 1860 Charles Lefroy, a local squire, built a new church - All Saints - in the Blue Triangle area in memory of his wife who had died in 1857. The ecclesiastical parish of Ewshot and Crookham was split into two in 1862 with the northern section based on the All Saints church, becoming the new parish of Fleet. The development of Fleet accelerated when the land to the south east of the Blue Triangle was sold for development in 1882 which, unlike the Blue Triangle, was laid out in a grid pattern. Thus it is that there are few very old buildings in Fleet, with much of the modern town formed around Victorian buildings.